Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a wonderful recipe for fish fillets. The stuffing mixture is also great stuffed into mushroom caps, just omit the lemon juice, and replace it with white wine in the baking dish. The stuffing mixture may easily be doubled if desired.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic, to taste
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cooked white rice or 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (squeeze out any excess moisture with hands)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (more if desired)
- 6 (4 ounce) sole fillets (fresh or frozen thawed, or use a similar fish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 11 x 7-inch baking pan.
- In a small saute pan, saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft (about 5-7 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, combine onion mixture, Mozzarella cheese, cooked rice, spinach, Parmesan cheese, egg white, salt and pepper; mix well to combine.
- Pour the lemon juice in the bottom of the prepared baking pan; set aside.
- Cut each fish fillet lengthwise into 2 strips (or leave whole, whatever you desire).
- Spoon about 1/4 cup (about 1/3 cup for whole fillets) spinach/cheese mixture onto each fillet strip.
- Roll up to enclose the filling; secure with a toothpick.
- Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper (sprinkle with a lttle more fresh lemon juice if desired).
- Place (cut-side down) over the lemon juice in the baking dish; cover with foil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.