Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Even if you don't care for spinach...you gotta love this!...just forget about eating any meat or chicken, all you will want is this yummy spinach/rice dish.(prep time includes cooking the rice)
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half or 1 quart milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 lbs spinach, cooked,drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Cook 1-1/2 cups rice according to directions; set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt 1 cup butter; add in flour, stir until thoroughly mixed (about 2 minutes), allow to cool slightly.
- In the microwave, heat the half and half until just to boiling or to a"simmer" (I do this in the microwave so that the milk doesn't scald bottom of pot, but you could simmer it in the pot, just watch not to burn bottom of pot!).
- Pour in the simmering half and half into a saucepan.
- Add flour mixture into the milk mixture a little at a time, whisking to break up all the lumps.
- Then whisk in the eggs, until creamy and smooth (about 10-15 minutes).
- Place the cooked and drained spinach in bottom of casserole dish.
- Add rice, Feta cheese and green onions spreading evenly over spinach.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cream sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
This was good, but not as good as I was expecting, and in my opinion, not good enough to be worth all the calories and fat (and I'm not a calorie counter, by far). I served this on a Saturday night with crab cakes. In the future I will probably save this recipes for holiday meals. It seems like something that would be nice then. I also will reduce the amount of butter and cream sauce as most of the flavor seemed to come from the feta and onion anyway.
Very rich. Yes, I feel guilty! But boy was it good! Was like a soufflé in texture. Creamy and airy! Very easy to make! I did use 2 cups of left over brown rice. Cut back to 1 pound of spinach that once cooked came to about 2 cups. I just couldn't put 1 cup of butter in this so I used 6 tablespoons butter that I melted in the microwave oven added 1/4 cup flour stirred in 1/2 quart of 2 percent milk whisked in 2 beaten eggs then microwave till nice and thick. Stopping to whisk a couple of times. I sprayed the pan so not to add to much fat to the dish. Then proceeded to layer the spinach, rice, 1 cup feta cheese, 1/4 cup scallions, sauce & cheese. There was more then enough sauce. Maybe a bit much. My Dh wouldn't eat it. But I totally enjoyed it.