24 hrs 45 mins
Here's an ideal brunch dish, a hearty vegetable quiche, wrapped up in healthy (and tasty) whole-grain barley crust. kingarthurflour.com is where I found this recipe - we tweaked it and now it is marvelous! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup barley flour (3 oz)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (2 1/8 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (heaping)
- 1 tablespoon dry buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (4 oz)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 -2 teaspoon ice water
- 1 1/2 cups milk (12 oz) or 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (12 oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour (1 oz)
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes (for that extra zing)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry or 12 ounces frozen asparagus cuts, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces whipped chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 cup cauliflower floret, blanched
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushroom
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper (4 oz)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- 1TO MAKE THE CRUST:.
- 2In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- 3Work the butter into the dry ingredients until the dough is unevenly crumbly.
- 4Add the egg, stirring until it's well integrated.
- 5Sprinkle in the water, continuing to mix until the dough is cohesive.
- 6Shape the dough into a disk, and refrigerate for 2 hours, or up to 3 days.
- 7Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 8Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to warm a bit.
- 9On a floured surface, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle, and transfer it to a quiche pan or 9-inch pie pan that's at least 1 1/4 inches deep.
- 10Crimp the edges.
- 11Prick, then blind-bake the crust for 20 minutes while you're preparing the filling.
- 12TO MAKE THE FILLING:.
- 13Whisk together the milk, eggs, thickener, herbs, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if using) spinach (or aspagagus), and cheeses.
- 14Remove the crust from the oven.
- 15Place the cauliflower, mushrooms and peppers in the bottom, then slowly pour the filling over them.
- 16Reduce the oven heat to 325°F and bake the quiche for 45 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted 1" from the edge comes out clean.
- 17Remove the quiche from the oven, and cool it for 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach and Red Pepper Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.6
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 199.7 mg
- Sodium 668.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence