Prep 45 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Here's an ideal brunch dish, a hearty vegetable quiche, wrapped up in healthy (and tasty) whole-grain barley crust. kingarthurflour.com is where I found this recipe - we tweaked it and now it is marvelous! :)
- 3⁄4 cup barley flour (3 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (2 1/8 oz)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (heaping)
- 1 tablespoon dry buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (4 oz)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 -2 teaspoon ice water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (12 oz) or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half (12 oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour (1 oz)
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes (for that extra zing)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry or 12 ounces frozen asparagus cuts, thawed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces whipped chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 cup cauliflower floret, blanched
- 1⁄2 cup sliced button mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup diced roasted red pepper (4 oz)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- TO MAKE THE CRUST:.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Work the butter into the dry ingredients until the dough is unevenly crumbly.
- Add the egg, stirring until it's well integrated.
- Sprinkle in the water, continuing to mix until the dough is cohesive.
- Shape the dough into a disk, and refrigerate for 2 hours, or up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to warm a bit.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle, and transfer it to a quiche pan or 9-inch pie pan that's at least 1 1/4 inches deep.
- Crimp the edges.
- Prick, then blind-bake the crust for 20 minutes while you're preparing the filling.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, thickener, herbs, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if using) spinach (or aspagagus), and cheeses.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Place the cauliflower, mushrooms and peppers in the bottom, then slowly pour the filling over them.
- Reduce the oven heat to 325°F and bake the quiche for 45 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted 1" from the edge comes out clean.
- Remove the quiche from the oven, and cool it for 1 hour before serving.