Recipe by Girl from India
Indian soup that has loads of taste and flavour. From my kitchen to yours. A recipe adapted slightly from a Readers Digest cookbook.
Top Review by Inge 1505
I love this soup and will make it again. It was the coconut that made me try it and I wasn't disappointed. I was relunctant to rate it though, because I made a rather large change. I do not like blended soup, so I chopped spinach and potatoes and took about 1.5 times the amount of them given in the recipe to make the soup thicker without having to blend it. Worked great for me. - Thanks alot for a new favorite.
- 450 g Baby Spinach, washed and chopped
- 175 g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 50 g fresh grated coconut or 50 g desiccated coconut
- 1 1⁄2 liters vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 liters chicken stock
- 1 inch gingerroot, chopped (I use more)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- natural yoghurt (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil (the recipe says virgin olive oil I must add).
- Saute the onione till translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute Add the spices and cook over medium heat for 2-3 mins stirring now and then Add the spinach, potatoes and coconut and stir till the spinach has wilted.
- Take care not to overcook the spinach.
- Pour in the stock and heat until it boils.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 mins till the potatoes are well cooked.
- Take off fire.
- Blend in a mixer until smooth.
- Return to the vessel and re cook.
- adjust the consistency to what you like (thick or thin).
- (add water or stock if need be) Serve in bowls with a swirl of the yoghurt.