Recipe by oloschiavo
This is my minimum-fuss weeknight comfort food. Serve over rice.
Top Review by Podkayne
I found it took an interminable time for the potatoes to get soft. I usually count on 20 minutes of simmer time for potatoes (not 10 as this recipe says), but ended up going for more than 30 minutes. I'm not sure, but I think that frying the potatoes first may have prevented water from penetrating them properly, so if I do this recipe again, I'll saute the onions and spices, then add the stock and lentils and potatoes together. Otherwise, this is good, stick-to-your ribs food, and makes great leftovers!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 potatoes, cubed (small cubes, about 1-2cm)
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- 1 bunch english spinach, coarsely chopped
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add spices and cook until aromatic.
- Add potato and stir to coat.
- Add lentils, water and stock powder and bring to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are just soft.
- Add spinach and cook 5-7 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add salt to taste. Serve immediately.