Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From our local paper. Serve with Marinated Roast Veal
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, leaves only, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat ovent to 400°F.
- Put pine nuts in baking dish and toast in oven, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In medium saucepan, bring water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add rice, stir once and boil, uncovered, until tender, about 14 minutes; check by tasting.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and leave to drain in strainer 5 minutes.
- In large saucepan, boil enough lightly salted water to cover spinach generously.
- Add spinach and cook, uncovered, over high heat, pushing leaves down into water often, until very tender, about 3 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water in colander and squeeze by hand until spinach leaves feel dry.
- Chop finely with a knife.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, until onion is softened and begins to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add garlic and cook a few seconds. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Into bowl, place rice, spinach, onion mixture, egg, nutmeg and pine nuts. Mix well.
- Taste; add more salt, pepper and nutmeg, if needed.