Recipe by Janine Smith
A very different, visually stunning, awesome summer salad. Kaikoura Restaurant in New Zealand (South Island)
- 1 punch fresh spinach leaves
- 2 ripe Anjou pears
- 5 table spoons pine nuts
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, juice of, fresh
- balsamic vinaigrette, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently wash spinach leaved under cold water.
- Drain spinach leaves.
- Cut pear in half and remove core and seeds.
- Thinly slice pears and sprinkle with lemon juice to avoid turning brown.
- Peel and very thinly slice onions.
- Crumble feta cheese.
- In a large bowl, place torn spinach leaves.
- Arrange thin pear slices and onion ontop of the spinach.
- Gently crumble feta cheese over spinach, pears and onion rings.
- Finally, toss pine nuts over the entire salad.
- Serve with a good quality balsamic vinaigrette.
- Delicious with fresh fish, or simply as an entree.