Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Spinach and "groundnuts". An East African side dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces spinach leaves, well cleaned, could use thawed frozen
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped finely
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach and cook and stir until wilted.
- Stir in the coconut and finely chopped peanuts; heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (if using salted peanuts, use salt sparingly).
This was so good. I used unsalted peanuts and natural coconut and loved the flavor combination. Easy to do. Made for ZWT4.
This made a delicious lunch today and I'm sure the spinach was pretty healthy too. I would never have thought to add peanuts and coconut to spinach but it works! The coconut gives it a nice sweetness yet is balanced with the salt as well. Thank you for posting the recipe Parsley! Made for ZWT 4 by a Jefe de la Cocina.
the combo sounds odd but tastes good reminds me of thai if that makes sense . this would be a good side to have with alot of dishes im glad i tried this