Recipe by little_wing
Good brunch item. Lovely with a salad and white wine. I've made in a spring form pan for extra impact.
Top Review by Cook4_6
My husband who does not even like spinach took two helpings of this! I expected it to be more eggy like a quiche, but found it wonderfully tasty the way it was. I used 2 cans of drained spinach to speed up prep time and it was still fantastic. DH gave this 4 stars, but since I always have the last word I am giving it a 5! Thanks for sharing!
- 2 pre made pie crusts
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pancetta or 1⁄4 cup bacon
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 lbs spinach, rinsed, blanched, and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- aged balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease pie pan.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the pancetta and cook until just crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, mix well, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the egg and cheese, and mix well.
- Let cool.
- Roll out 1 pie crust and fit in bottom of pie plate.
- Fill with the cooled spinach mixture.
- Top with remaining crust.
- With a sharp knife, cut slits into the top crust and brush with the melted butter.
- Bake until the crust is golden and the filling is set, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with aged balsamic vinegar.