Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy to make and enjoy, our Spinach and Onion Polenta is ready in just minutes. This buttery polenta goes well with steaks and pork chops.
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarse ground cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped in small dice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, pull off leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, and freshly cracked black pepper mixed together
- Heat six cups of water to boiling over medium heat in an uncovered stockpot. Add ½ teaspoon coarse salt.
- Whisk in 1-1/4 cups coarse ground corn meal. Add the cornmeal slowly and whisk continuously to avoid lumps. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Continue whisking. (Constant whisking helps the cornmeal to cook without lumps and avoids burning. Don’t let it start spitting. This mixture is hot and sticky.).
- Add ¼ cup of diced onion and the thyme leaves. Stir everything with a wooden spoon. Continue cooking the mixture for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of chopped spinach and 2 Tablespoons of butter. Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and serve.
- Variation: Add ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese and top with Italian sausage for a wintertime lunch.