Recipe by Hey Jude
Serve this with a salad and some crusty bread for a great meatless meal. This is one of my Mom's recipes - it looks like she may have gotten it from the Chicago Tribune.
- 2 cups saltine crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped spinach
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded American cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Combine cracker crumbs and 1 stick melted butter in a small bowl. Transfer to a greased 9-inch pie dish; press evenly into bottom and sides of dish. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 T of butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add spinach; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Spread mixture over crumb crust. Set aside.
- Beat together eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Mix in cheese and salt. Pour mixture into crumb crust. Bake until pie is set and golden brown, about 50 minutes.