Recipe by Shake'n'Cake
My Indian friend wrote this out for me, the ingredients are approximations because she never measures them. This is a tasty dish that can be made first and reheated in the microwave. Frozen spinach can be substituted, use 500 grams.
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh chili pepper (optional)
- 1 inch gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- If the spinach is frozen, thaw it and squeeze out all the water. Chop it, then squeeze out any leftover water.
- Heat oil and add the seeds. Cook until they start to pop, then add onion, garlic, chilli, and ginger in a wok and cook until onion is golden (but not dark brown).
- Add spinach, tomato, and salt and toss. Cook until well wilted and hot (about five minutes). Squeeze lemon juice over it and stir through to taste. Serve with rice or as a side dish with your favourite curry.