This is a lower-fat, no-boil version of Julesong's Creamy Spinach Mushroom Lasagna. After one bite, my 11 year old son said, "make this again, Mom." Many thanks to Julesong for this delicious combination of flavors.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 lb havarti cheese, shredded
- 7 ounces gouda cheese, shredded
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add the mushrooms and cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the drained, chopped spinach, salt, and pepper, stir well and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Over medium heat melt 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan; add the flour and cook, stirring constantly to keep it from browning.
- Gradually add the chicken or vegetable broth and milk; cook, stirring occasionally, until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- As soon as sauce begins to boil, remove it from the heat and add thyme and basil.
- Combine the shredded cheeses together until well mixed.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Lay 5 noodles in a single layer in the pan. (Four the long way and one broken-off one the short way.).
- Layer with 1/2 each of the mushroom/spinach mixture and shredded cheeses, then coat with 1/2 of the sauce.
- Repeat the process, ending with the sauce.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake at 350F for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let sit a few minutes before serving.