Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have a question about step #3 in the cooking directions. It sates the following: In a large bowl combine tofu mixture with broccoli mixture. Pour into pie crust. There is no broccoli in this recipe.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 1 lb spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake pie crust in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute spinach, onion, garlic, and mushrooms until golden.
- In a blender combine tofu, soy milk, mustard, salt, nutmeg, ground red pepper, black pepper, and parsley; process until smooth. In a large bowl combine tofu mixture with broccoli mixture (THERE IS NO BROCCOLI IN THIS RECIPE!). Pour into pie crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until quiche is set. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
So I was looking for something healthy to cook, and I stumbled upon this recipe. It looked simple enough, and the pictures made it look delicious. Although there were a few reviews, it was rated well. It shouldn't be. It is bland as hell, and I dumped in a bunch of swiss and cheddar cheese. There is too much spinach for the dish, not enough mushrooms, and the whole thing packs several hundred calories for something that is just 'meh'. It not like you will be spitting it out, but you will be bored. Skip this recipe and try something else.
Made this tonight, and though I always think it's a little unfair to rate something if you've made changes, I think the basic recipe remained intact. I did add cheese, and since there was some concern in other reviews about it tasting bland, I added a splash of soy sauce, sprinkle of thyme and a good dash of turmeric. It was good but what I think would have made it GREAT would be the addition of feta cheese. Granted, the original recipe is vegan, but if you are curious and want something super delicious and aren't quite ready for something alternative, I think the feta would really fit the bill. I'll try it again, for sure.