Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb spinach
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Crumble and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover completely with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10-12 minutes .
- Remove from hot water, cool, peel and cut in wedges.
- Return 2 tablespoons bacon fat to skillet, stir in sugar, vinegar, water and salt.
- Keep warm.
- Wash and remove stems from spinach, dry thoroughly and break into pieces in salad bowl.
- Pour warm dressing over and toss until coated.
- Top salad with mushrooms and bacon, garnish with egg.
This salad is good, but 1 pound of spinach is soooooo much. And it defintely takes more time than most salads to prepare. The timing for the eggs was right. I don't believe that I will prepare this again because it takes too much prep time before the meal. It could be an entire lunch if adding ham, onions, etc..........
The salad was excellent...I didn't make the dressing simply because I didn't have time. We just used bottled dressing. Next time I make this, I'll try the dressing. Oh, and I added some tomatoes to the salad. Definitely a keeper!