Recipe by Manami
This is my attempt to make a sort of "healthy" quesadilla; so the resident's will eat spinach! Loosely based on a Martha Stewart recipe. We just put it on the menu for the "Cafe Ponce", let's see what kind of response we get from the residents. I love them and have been wanting to try other kinds of quesadillas with different type of cheese.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (we used a combination of both) or 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (we used a combination of both)
- 6 ounces prewashed spinach, shredded (about 8 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked & crispy bacon
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh grated nutmeg
- 8 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (we used a combination of the three) or 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (we used a combination of the three) or 8 ounces cubed brie cheese (we used a combination of the three)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until they're tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add spinach in two batches, letting the first batch wilt slightly before adding the next; cook until spinach is completely wilted and mixture is dry, 2 to 3 minutes total.
- Season with salt, pepper, & crushed red pepper flakes.
- Brush one side of tortillas with remaining tablespoon oil.
- Place 4 tortillas, oiled sides down, on two baking sheets.
- Layer each tortilla with cheese, crumbled bacon, spinach mixture sprinkled with nutmeg, and more cheese, dividing evenly.
- Top with the remaining 4 tortillas, oiled sides up, and lightly press to seal.
- Bake until cheese has melted and tortillas are golden brown, turning them once, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut quesadillas into quarters.