Recipe by flower7
I made this recipe up to use some leftover ingredients. I thought it came out quite tasty! Hope you enjoy it too! :) Note from a reviewer: This freezes very well. Thaw before baking.
Top Review by Abba Gimel
This was excellent & easy! I didn't have any mozzarella so I used a pizza blend (has mozzarella in it), which also worked nice. as I am dieting I doubled the veggies added artichoke heart & chopped broccoli.
- 8 ounces rotini pasta (I like to use whole wheat pasta)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 5 ounces fresh Baby Spinach, cleaned & roughly chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package.
- While water is boiling and pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion & saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they release most of their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and wine and cook until spinach is wilted and most of the wine has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce, salt, and both peppers and stir until heated through. Add Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, cover the bottom with a thin layer of sauce. Add half the pasta, half the sauce, and half of the mozzarella. Repeat layers with remaining pasta , sauce, and mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.