Recipe by Sage
This is from The Autralian Woman's Weekly. Spinach and mushroom mixture can be made a day ahead covered, in refrigerator
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 small fresh red chilies, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 16 ounces tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (10 ounce) jar artichoke hearts packed in oil, drained, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup seeded black olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, shredded
- 1 lb spinach, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 500 g fettuccine pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan, add onion, garlic, chillies and mushrooms, cook, stirring, until onion is soft.
- Stir in undrained crushed tomatoes, paste, sugar, wine, artichokes, olives and basil, simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Add spinach, simmer, uncovered, until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in cheese.
- Add pasta to large pan of boiling water, boil, uncovered, until just tender; drain. Toss hot spinach and mushroom mixture with pasta.