I LOVE these spinach enchiladas. They are just like the ones served at one of my fave restaurants! If you like spinach, you will love these. If you don't like spinach- you will probably find that this recipe changes your mind. (Altered recipe after reviews regarding the saltiness and amount of sauce. I have not had that problem, but do not want anyone to have a bad result. Please do try this and enjoy it.)
- 12 corn tortillas or 12 flour tortillas
- 354.88 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 453.59 g mushroom, chopped
- 59.14 ml white wine
- 340.19 g fresh spinach, washed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml lime juice or 59.14 ml wine
- 177.44 ml water
- season salt, to taste (reduced to 1 t from 1 T and it was still considered salty please adjust to your taste or leave out a) (optional)
- 14.79 ml chicken bouillon granule
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 118.29 ml cilantro, chopped, use the amount that suits your taste
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- Filling: Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft and liquid has evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove half of the mushroom mixture and set aside, reserving for the sauce.
- Add wine and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted and liquid has evaporated. Taste and add salt or season salt to taste IF NEEDED.
- Sauce: In a small sauce pan combine water, wine/juice, seasoned salt, chicken bouillon and garlic powder. Stir to dissolve before adding reserved mushroom mixture, sour cream and cilantro. Reduce heat to simmer until sauce just begins to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wrap tortillas in paper towels and heat in microwave for a minute or so just to soften them.
- Divide filling evenly among the warm tortillas, fill and roll and place them seam side down in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas, top with shredded cheese and bake 10-15 minutes- just until cheese is melted- browned if you like- and the entire dish has heated through.