If your family is sitting on the fence about spinach, you will want to give this recipe a try! This casserole will melt in your mouth and will convince your family that spinach should be served much more often! This is a "Company Worthy" recipe that will satisfy the most discriminating. Hope you enjoy it!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wash fresh spinach, drain well and chop coarsely, or drain frozen spinach very well after thawing.
- Melt butter in saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add cream gradually, stirring steadily to boiling point; cook over low heat 5 minutes.
- Arrange successive layers of spinach and sauce in a buttered 1 1/2 qt casserole ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in a shallow pan of hot water.
- Bake for 45 minutes.