Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
If your family is sitting on the fence about spinach, you will want to give this recipe a try! This casserole will melt in your mouth and will convince your family that spinach should be served much more often! This is a "Company Worthy" recipe that will satisfy the most discriminating. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 lbs fresh spinach or 20 ounces frozen spinach
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onions, grated
- 1 lb mushroom, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups light cream
- 4 tablespoons swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wash fresh spinach, drain well and chop coarsely, or drain frozen spinach very well after thawing.
- Melt butter in saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add cream gradually, stirring steadily to boiling point; cook over low heat 5 minutes.
- Arrange successive layers of spinach and sauce in a buttered 1 1/2 qt casserole ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in a shallow pan of hot water.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
absolutely delicious! i used 2 bags of fresh spinach, sliced button and cremini mushrooms and followed the recipe. we really enjoyed this dish
This is really good. I pretty much followed this except that I added more cheese (I grated a 10-oz block) and used 24-oz of frozen spinach, because there was no 20-oz pkg. Oh and I couldn't find light cream (I never can), so I used 1 c. heavy cream plus 1 c. half and half. WOW!!! That was incredible. Years ago when I moved to Alaska I made a dish only once, then lost the recipe. It involved cream, spinach and mushrooms and this is as close as I've found. It's outstanding! The only thing is that there was no way that would fit into a smaller dish. Perhaps it's the extra cheese and spinach, but mine fit perfectly in a 3-qt casserole. I also didn't put it in a pan of water. We had our Christmas dinner last night and there simply wasn't room, but it turned out fine. No burning! I even baked it for the same about of time. I will definitely be adding this to my recipe index.
Awesomeness!! I just made this for dinner tonight. I used frozen spinach ( squeezed to death so no moisture was remaining) lol, added garlic and about 6 more ounces of mushrooms, I mixed the spinach in with the mushroom sauce when done instead of layering. It all fit perfectly into my 1.5 qt casserole dish. Delicious mushroom flavor & my 4 year old loved it. We will be making this again. :)