Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
If your family is sitting on the fence about spinach, you will want to give this recipe a try! This casserole will melt in your mouth and will convince your family that spinach should be served much more often! This is a "Company Worthy" recipe that will satisfy the most discriminating. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 lbs fresh spinach or 20 ounces frozen spinach
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onions, grated
- 1 lb mushroom, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups light cream
- 4 tablespoons swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wash fresh spinach, drain well and chop coarsely, or drain frozen spinach very well after thawing.
- Melt butter in saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add cream gradually, stirring steadily to boiling point; cook over low heat 5 minutes.
- Arrange successive layers of spinach and sauce in a buttered 1 1/2 qt casserole ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in a shallow pan of hot water.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
absolutely delicious! i used 2 bags of fresh spinach, sliced button and cremini mushrooms and followed the recipe. we really enjoyed this dish
My family, including my 16 y/o dd all thought this was really good. I used a 12 oz bag of spinach and about 1 3/4 cup of fat free half & half. I also added a cooked and diced chicken breast. I thought there was plenty of spinach, but should have cut back to 1 tsp of salt (and I'm a salt lover). I also used a mixture of mozzerella, parmesan and cheddar cheeses. The casserole did turn out very watery, but it was due to the water that cooked out of the spinach, not the sauce. I tried soaking up as much as I could with paper towels, but there was still quite a bit of liquid at the bottom of the casserole dish. I just drained it as I was serving and it taste really good. I will try this again using swis and adding it between the layers as someone suggested. Thanks for yummy dish. **UPDATE** Made for Christmas dinner, but this time used a 15 oz bag of frozen spinach, well squeezed, and about 1 2/3 cup of cream, then mixed the spinach with the mushroom mixture and it was wonderful! It wasn't watery at all and my DH brought me the empty dish saying "for future reference, this was the first thing to go". I again used a mixture of mozzerella, parm and cheddar. Everyone loved it and commented on it. Thank you again - I will definitely be making this regularly!
Please add another 5 Stars to my rating on this recipe. In the past week and a half I have made it three times... and will make it once again like manana.I initally used mozzarella cheese, but tomorrow I will try Swiss Cheese! I absolutely, positively love this recipe. Thanks Bev!