Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I used a Mixed-Herb Compound Butter for Veggies or Meat which flavors this Yummy good! Use care when seasoning for the cheese does add salt. If you don't use a compound butter do add a couple cloves of minced garlic when sauteing the onions. Check out the link for other butters you may want to use. url=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=101913
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup diced asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon compound butter (Mixed-Herb Compound Butter for Veggies or Meat)
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 6 cups sliced mushrooms
- 10 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup diced sun-dried tomato
- 1⁄2 cup diced asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cheese sauce:.
- In microwave oven melt butter. Add flour and mix till all incorporated. Whisk in milk, nutmeg and white pepper and microwave till thickened. Remove from microwave and stir in 1 cup of the cheese till melted.
- Spinach mixture:.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan.
- Saute onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach a couple cup at a time to wilt till all is incorporated.
- When wilted remove the mixture leaving all the juice.
- Reduce the juices till almost gone and then add back to spinach mixture.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and cheese sauce.
- In a oiled casserole dish place 1/2 the mixture in then top with 1/4 cup cheese, layer rest of spinach then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Wow! My 3 children ate this entire casserole and loved it! By the time we had thirds the casserole was gone. A huge hit. I didn't have fresh spinach so I used 2 packages of frozen spinach that I thawed and squeezed mostly dry. I didn't try the compound butter because I was in a rush, but instead I added 3/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning to my saute pan with the butter. I served it with bread and butter. So good!
I actually wasn't as impressed with this as the other reviewers. I choosing not to rate it because although I wasn't a big fan, my boyfriend really enjoyed it. I did made it as directed following all the measurements and ingredients. It had a good flavor but I thought it was lacking something. I think I am going to try this one again but add some cooked rice or quinoa in it before baking to give it more texture and make it more substantial.
Yum yum yum! i used the garlic alternative to the compound butter. Made for 8th Annual Photo Tag. :)