Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
Does everything have to be authentic? This filling would also make a nice panini or flatbread sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups red onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves (preferably baby spinach)
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup grated)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and cut into thin strips
- Heat oil in a medium skilled over medium heat. Add onions and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle in sugar and cook another 10 minutes until onions are browned; do not burn. Stir in the spinach and remove skillet from heat.
- Heat another skilled over medium high heat. Add one tortilla to dry skillet and cook 15 seconds. Sprinkle half the tortilla with 1/2 cup cheese, place 1/4 of the spinach filling on top, add 1/4 of the pepper strips. Fold empty half of the tortilla over the filling and press down with the spatula about 10 seconds.
- Slide quesadilla onto serving plate. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
I liked this, but dh didn't. I added just a very little sugar and salt.
Made for lunch with DH in mind, there is a resturant that serves something like this and he loves it! So I thought he might like this and I was right. He loved it and told me this is a keeper!!!! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 5
These are really good! I did add about 1/2 tsp of minced garlic and a little salt to the spinach (personal preference) and they were perfect! We gobbled them up in no time! No leftovers at all. Made for ZWT5 - Epicurean Queens