Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Our local newspaper holds a cooking contest once a year and the publishes all of the recipes submitted. This dish was voted the "Grand Champion".
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Microwave spinach according to package directions.
- Drain liquid and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium skillet.
- Add crab meat and saute for 3 minutes on medium heat being careful not to break up crab meat too much.
- Remove crab meat, leaving liquid in skillet.
- In same skillet, stir in flour and cook on low heat until well blended.
- Add Monterey Jack cheese and cream cheese, stirring on low heat until completely melted.
- Add Half and Half and seasonings, stirring continuously on medium heat until mixture begins to boil.
- Remove from heat immediately.
- Add spinach and crab meat and carefully fold into sauce.
- Pour into a 9x9 shallow casserole dish or 6 individual ramekins.
- Sprinikle shredded cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes or until is melted.
Definitely a keeper. I made a couple changes and used the fake crab meat instead of lump, and smoked gouda instead of the jack cheese. It came out fantastic and my wife and I fought over the leftovers. This will definitely be made again in our house.