Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
A simple soup from The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook.
Make and share this Spinach and Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups uncooked brown lentils
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 ounces spinach, stalks removed and leaves finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped (cilantro)
- Place the lentils in a large pan with 5 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer uncovered for one hour.
- Rinse, drain, and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil over medium heat; add in the onion and garlic, and cook until golden.
- Add spinach and cook for two minutes more.
- Add the lentils, cumin, lemon rind, stock, and 2 cups water to the pan.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the coriander before serving.
I suspect the 2 cups water in step 6 are supposed to be 2 cups vegetable broth.