Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great side dish for roast or grilled chicken, grilled steak or fish. The vegetables and lemon give a wonderful fresh garden taste. You can vary the amounts of the veggies to your taste. I use just a little more rice to stock than usual as I prefer a slightly drier pilaf.
- 1 3⁄4 cups converted long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (you may wish to reduce this if you are using a salty stock)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach leaves, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Bring the stock to a boil, add rice, reduce heat to low and simmer till done. (About 40 minutes).
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add spinach, carrot and green onions, saute over medium low heat till spinach is wilted and vegetables softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir vegetable mixture and lemon juice into hot cooked rice, fluff with fork and serve.
This rice pilaf is just excellant! we love it , it had a lot of flavour with the carrots, spinach and lemon and a nice presentation colour. Since i used canned chicken stock I did not add salt, I used brown rice and olive oil instead of butter, had to leave the green onion out had none in. i made a full recipe because i love having rice in the freezer ready to reheat on a busy night, glad I did, it is some of the best I've made. Oh almost forgot I used frozen spinach well dried in paper towel, worked very well. I will be making this again, thanks for posting.
THis looked lovely sitting on the table! Next time I'll give an extra squirt of lemon & decrease the chicken stock a tad, as you recommend. Thanks!