Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
A delicious departure from quiche, this savory bread pudding is easier to prepare and very satisfying. Courtesy of Vegetarian Meals, published by Hearst Books/Sterling Publishing 2007.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs, milk, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until blended.
- With rubber spatula, stir in spinach, Monterey Jack cheese, and bread cubes.
- Pour mixture into lightly greased 13" by 9" ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Bake bread pudding until browned and puffed, and knife inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes before serving.