Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
There are other salads by the same name posted on Zaar. This one was has been lightened and made more healthy. The lovely colors are ideal for the holidays but it's easy to enjoy year round.
- 1⁄3 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves (about 5 cups lightly packed)
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces, toasted in a dry skillet over a medium-high flame until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the spinach with the dressing until evenly coated then divide the spinach among 4 serving plates.
- Core the apple and slice it into matchsticks.
- Sprinkle a quarter of the apple pieces on top of each salad.
- Follow with the walnut pieces.
- Serve immediately.
We loved the tang of the mustard in this salad...I used a red apple and replace the walnuts with candied pecans...this is a keeper...next time I plan to throw in some dried cranberries and feta cheese...thanks for posting the recipe...:)
Wow Ann, this is a delicious recipe! I too used red skinned apples: gala which have that sweet tart added crunch to the spinach. I made it again using smooth Dijon mustard, left out the walnuts plus I added some bacon bits. Thanks for posting. Made for Honor Thy Mother, Diabetic tag.
Quick and easy summer salad and we liked the simple yet delicious dressing. I only had red skinned apples on hand and substituted some baby arugula for part of the spinach leaves. I had a strong desire to add a fresh herb-basil or mint...? After cutting the apples and arranging on the greens I drizzled a little bit of the dressing on the apples to stop them from browning. Will make again! Reviewed for Veg Tag July.