Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: When we saw the simply potatoes contest we immediately thought of making potato nests. They are delicious and simple to make, the spinach and the goat cheese gives them a nice creaminess. Enjoy!
- 20 ounces Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
- cooking spray
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix Simply Potatoes Hashbrowns with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and lemon pepper. Mix well making sure the potatoes are coated with oil.
- Spray a non-stick 12 cup- muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Carefully arrange hashbrowns evenly in each muffin cup, pressing the sides and forming a small well in the center.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes, until they start to brown lightly. Set aside. Reset the over to 375°F.
- In the mean time, squeeze water out of t he spinach and sauté in remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 6-8 minutes. Add sundried tomatoes, a pinch of salt and a pinch of garlic powder. Cook at medium heat for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine goat cheese and milk and mix well until smooth and creamy.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add goat cheese and spinach-sundried tomato mixture. Mix well.
- Fill the potato cups with the egg mixture and bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before un molding. Un mold carefully using a butter knife around the sides of the nests.
When I saw this picture of these hashbrowns nests I thought 2 things: Wow, those look beautiful & delicious and they also look like way too much work! But I read through the recipe and actually, it seemed very manageable and able to multitask the steps so I decided to go for it. Boy am I glad I did!!!!!! These we're even better tasting than they looked and very simple. Also, it's easy to customize it to your personal taste. I'm not a big fan of sun-dried tomatoes so I used roasted red peppers instead and added some chopped hot cherry peppers for a little kick...perfection! Definitely take the risk and try this recipe...you won't regret it.
I made these and they were exceptionaly delicious! I didn't have goat cheese at home so i used feta cheese. It turned out really yummy... i loved the saltiness the feta cheese added!
This was a great way to impress my guests with something easy, elegant, and healthy- keep these great recipes coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!