Recipe by smellyvegetarian
This is my version of an old Cooking Light recipe (August 2004)...I discovered it while running at the gym at 6 am, and I'm SO glad I asked for a pen and paper to write it down LOL! This is absolutely a weekly standby for DH and I, and even satisfies his carnivorous appetite. The original recipe calls for golden raisins (I'm not a fan) and 2 T lemon juice.
Top Review by mliss29
This was really good! I used the refrigerated pizza crust and I used a box of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed. I might do nutmeg instead of the cayenne next time. Reviewed for Pick-A-Chef.
- 391.22 g refrigerated pie crusts (I use Oops, It's a Fat Free Pizza Crust)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 340.19 g spinach, trimmed
- 177.44 ml feta, crumbled (I suggest tomato-basil flavored)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 44.37 ml pine nuts
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Unroll pizza crust on a greased baking sheet and shape into a rectangle. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over med-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach in stages, stirring until wilted. Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Using a slotted spoon, place filling onto lower half of crust. Pull upper half over filling and crimp edges to seal. With a sharp knife, cut 3 or so small slits in the top for steam.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- The original recipe calls for brushing with milk and sprinkling parmesan cheese. Sometimes I skip the milk and just sprinkle parmesan and garlic powder on top.