Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from my mother, but reminds me of Spanakopita, a dish I ate in Greece. It can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- 500 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 125 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 125 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 15 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 1 dash milk
- Combine the spinach, feta, egg, and ricotta in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add onion, and saute until soft.
- Stir into mix, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make into 2 pies- i.e. place one sheet of pastry on the bottom of a pie pan, put the filling in, and cover it with another sheet of pastry, pushing down the edges with a little water.
- Brush the 2 pies with milk.
- Bake at 200 degrees celcius for 25 to 30 minutes.
LOVED IT! Made this for Christmas and it was very well received. I doubled the amount of feta and ricotta, otherwise made per recipe. Having made spinach pie with phyllo in the past, I have to say that I really prefered this, both for ease of making and for the pie itself. Thank you for posting a keeper Naomi!
This was absolutely delicious! I would give it 5 stars except that no where on the recipe does it say what to do with the mint and parsley. Because I am a pretty experienced cook, I could figure out that it went into the filling. However, an inexperienced cook may wonder or leave it out and that would kill the recipe. However, if you read this review and add the mint and parsley, you will have a 5 star tasting recipe.
This was very easy to make and tasted very good for the amount of effort required (which wasn't much). I made only one pie in a 2 litre pyrex dish using 2 sheets of pastry and the pie ended up about 2cm thick. This size pie would give 4-6 serves. I used 180g feta and 250g ricotta as these were the smallest amounts I could buy. When I initially added only half the ricotta (125g), the filling looked too dry, so I added the rest of the tub. I will make this one again.