Recipe by NaomiW
This recipe came from my mother, but reminds me of Spanakopita, a dish I ate in Greece. It can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Top Review by puppitypup
LOVED IT! Made this for Christmas and it was very well received. I doubled the amount of feta and ricotta, otherwise made per recipe. Having made spinach pie with phyllo in the past, I have to say that I really prefered this, both for ease of making and for the pie itself. Thank you for posting a keeper Naomi!
- 500 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 125 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 125 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 15 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 1 dash milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the spinach, feta, egg, and ricotta in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add onion, and saute until soft.
- Stir into mix, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make into 2 pies- i.e. place one sheet of pastry on the bottom of a pie pan, put the filling in, and cover it with another sheet of pastry, pushing down the edges with a little water.
- Brush the 2 pies with milk.
- Bake at 200 degrees celcius for 25 to 30 minutes.