Recipe by Derf
This pie makes a great looking dish for a brunch or a lovely plate for a luncheon with a light mixed baby greens salad.
Top Review by Dreamin1Kate
I've been looking for this recipe for a long time. I lost it a long time ago. I used it once for a dinner party where you bring a dish of food. The people there LOVED it and wanted to know how to fix it. I can't wait to fix it again. I normally improvise and then wonder if I got it right. Thanx to Derf for posting it.
- 8 ounces phyllo pastry
- 1 lb spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped dried dill
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pastry to fit the size or your baking dish, (I use a 9 inch regular Pyrex pie plate or a 9 x 9 inch square pan), then keep it covered with a damp cloth.
- Prepare the spinach.
- Heat the oil and saute the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the spinach and stir for 5 minutes over a medium heat then increase the heat to evaporate any moisture.
- Leave to cool then mix in the dill, eggs, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Brush the baking dish with melted butter.
- Brush 8 layers of pastry with butter and lay them in the bottom of the dish.
- Spread with the filling, then cover with the remaining pastry, brushing each one with melted butter and scoring the top into diamond shapes.
- Sprinkle with water and bake in a preheated oven at 325°F for 40 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve with crisp lettuce leaves.