Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Description:This is a delicious main dish recipe. Prep time is approximate.
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo pastry
- melted butter
- 2 bunches spinach, washed, dried and finely chopped
- 14 -18 ounces feta cheese, chopped into cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 pint cottage cheese (to stretch it out, extra flavor, etc.) or 1 pint plain yogurt (to stretch it out, extra flavor, etc.)
- sesame seeds (for sprinkling)
To your taste (or not) you may add
- fresh ground black pepper
- crushed garlic
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- toasted pine nuts
- Place all ingredients except filo and butter into a large bowl and mix together.
- To prepare the filo pastry, unroll the whole packet into a dry workspace.
- Brush the top layer with melted butter.
- Pick up 2-3 layers of filo and lay them in your 13 x 9 pan (glass is best). I usually do around 5 layers (2-3 ea.) across the bottom and up the sides.
- Pour in the filling and fold the sides over the top. This is mainly to stop the filling leaking out and burning.
- Repeat the buttered layers of pastry on top until you think there is enough.
- Butter the top layer and tuck the edges inches
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake for at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- If the top starts to burn you can cover it with foil.