Recipe by maidinafrica
A wonderful recipe I found in a brochure many years ago. It has been a favourite with dinner guests and consequently have been asked for a copy of the recipe many times. Enjoy
Top Review by SuzieQ #53
We loved this soup! So easy and delicious. Very good, creamy soup base to compliment the bitterness of the spinach. We did not liquidize it this time, but probably will next time just to try it a little differently. Great either way!
- 50 g butter
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and stalks removed
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 5 g garlic
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch origanum
- 50 g flour
- ground pepper
- 100 g feta cheese
- 100 ml cream (optional) or 100 ml plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roughly chop the spinach.
- Warm the chicken stock.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the garlic.
- Add the spinach and gently fry with a lid on for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the flour and mix well.
- Add the chicken stock stirring at all times.
- Add the origanum and nutmeg.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the feta cheese, salt and pepper.
- After Feta has melted, stir in cream or low fat yoghurt (optional).
- Liquidize soup for a smooth creamy finish. Serve with a twirl of cream.