Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I have made many stuffed shell recipes, and I always end up adding stuff, substituting stuff, or taking stuff out. We are a no-ricotta-for-me house, mostly (unless it's disguised), so I use all cottage cheese. So, here is my version of spinach and cheese stuffed shells. I think they taste very good. Thank you. ;)
- 20 jumbo pasta shells, cooked (about half of a 12 oz. box)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese (I use 2%)
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (from a jar-I usually have them heaping, because I love garlic)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- fresh ground pepper (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 egg
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce, divided (I use Classico Tomato and Basil from Costco)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients "cottage cheese" through "egg".
- Pour half of the sauce in a 9x13 pan (I never measure the sauce, I just pour it from the jar). Fill the shells full with the cheese mixture, and place them into the pan with the sauce.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce lightly over the top of the shells (or spoon sauce from the jar over the shells, like I do). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.