Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this super-fast and easy side, which is adapted from Gourmet. It is also good with a little cumin added, and will handle a larger amount of spinach as well.
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 8 cups Baby Spinach, any tough stems discarded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut bacon crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces and cook in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until browned; leave bacon in skillet and spoon off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, chickpeas, and red pepper flakes; saute over high heat, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas begin to brown (3-4 minutes).
- Stir in spinach and garlic and saute', stirring, until spinach is wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil.
Loved this side dish! I reduced the bacon and oil and don't think it suffered any loss of flavor or texture. Just delicious, even got my 11 year old non-spinach-lover to dig right in! Great!
I've made this a few times now and my whole family loves it! It's an easy and delicious way to get a load of vitamins.
Great dish. Had it in a sandwich with garlic and herb cheese and soft, white bread. Yum! :)