Recipe by lucid501
Spinach, cheese, and roasted red peppers--what could be yummier? ZWT 3: Mexican/SW/Tex-Mex (cheeses and tortillas)
Top Review by mickeydownunder
This was really terrific, TRUE! I did use roasted peppers in a jar too! HOWEVER, drained, ran under water and in paper towel I did drain, While listening to the weather outside which was RAIN! Don't think it distracted from taste to me! Thank you! Glad this recipe I did see!
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional) or 1 tablespoon parsley (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 (8 inch) spinach tortillas or 4 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup diced roasted red pepper (not stored in oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9-in round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Put the spinach in a large microwavable bowl; cover with plastic wrap and prick several holes in the plastic.
- Microwave on high until the spinach starts to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Let stand until the spinach wilts completely, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and let cool.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove the excess liquid; chop coarsely.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs, egg white, cheese, milk, cilantro or parsley (if using), salt, and ground pepper in a bowl, beating with a whisk to combine.
- To assemble the torta, place 1 tortilla in the bottom of the pan. Layer with half the spinach, 1 tortilla, then the roasted peppers.
- Top with 1 tortilla and the remaining spinach and tortilla. Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until firm.
- Remove the torta from the oven and increase the heat to broil.
- Broil 5 inches from heat until just browned on the top, about 1 minute.
- Let stand 5 minutes before inverting the torta on a cutting board and slicing into 4 wedges.