Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A favorite rice dish at our house! Frozen spinach can be used in place of fresh if desired, just make certain to hand-squeeze out excess moisture.
Top Review by tarab5
This was tasty but I prefer Kittencal's recipe for Spinach Parmesan Rice Bake... it just had a little more pizzazz. I used a 10 oz box of frozen spinach. The slices of mozzarella on top fused together and made it tough to cut (still tasty, though). I think I'd rather use shredded. I used a full 8 oz package of mushrooms, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (can use more)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, shredded (about 5 cups)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use more or less)
- 1⁄2 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 3 cups cooked short-grain rice
- 7 slices mozzarella cheese
- paprika (to garnish, any amount desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a 10-in skillet, heat oil with butter; add the garlic and mushrooms, cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add in the spinach, stir and cook about 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
- Stir in salt and pepper, cheddar cheese and cottage cheese; set aside.
- Make a layer of cooked rice on the bottom of baking dish.
- Spoon spinach/cheese mixture evenly over the rice.
- Top with mozzarella cheese slices, then sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set broiler; broil the rice casserole for 1 minute, or until the mozzeralla cheese is bubbly and light brown.
- Cut into squares, and serve hot.