Recipe by Jajaja
This dish is very soothing, healthy, and yummy. You can use any white bean in place of the cannellini beans, and canned beans would work just as well as dried (no need for soaking and cooking).
Top Review by catalina602
Tomatoes plus beans make a complete protein, so I love it for that. Spinach is yummy in everything, however I left out the bread since I wanted a fast dish. It is delish with seasonings!
- 1 1⁄4 cups cannellini beans, soaked in water over night
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb spinach, cleaned
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer the beans in water until tender, about an hour, and drain.
- Fry the bread in 2 T of oil until golden brown, set aside.
- Saute the onion in 2 T of oil until soft, add tomatoes and continue cooking over low heat.
- Add the paprika and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a food processor (or a regular old knife and cutting board), mince up the garlic and fried bread.
- Add to the spinach mixture, along with the water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes (adding more water if needed).
- Serve with chunks of crusty bread.