Recipe by Debbwl
A healthy whole grain salad. While I honestly do not remember where this recipe came from it has recently come to my attention that it was created by Nan Kelley Lofas, Bainbridge Island, Washington and published in Sunset Magazine’s 1998 annual cookbook.
Top Review by Lalaloula
WOW, absolutely DELICIOUS!!!! Debbie I have eaten quite a number of bulgur salads (always using millet in place of the bulgur), but this one really is one of the best! The flavours mingle perfectly and the dill and feta combined with the tomatoes and spinach are just super yummy! :) I used your recipe #415662 in place of the bulgur and it was very nice. Added a slightly nutty flavour to the salad. I will most definitely make this again as everyone just raved about it! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this surpreme recipe here with us! Made and reviewed for my chosen chef in Veggie Swap #21 April 2010.
- 2⁄3 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1⁄2 lb spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine bulgur and 1 and a 1/2 cups boiling water. Let stand until bulgur is tender to bite, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stack spinach leaves and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- Place spinach, onions, dill, and cheese in a wide bowl. Pour bulgur into a fine strainer and press out the excess water. Add bulgur to bowl with spinach.
- Mix vinegar and oil. Add to salad and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.