Recipe by Eat Your Vegetables!
This is a great salad for fall when the local farms start offering apple picking. The flavors of the spinach, blue cheese, apples and cider vinaigrette complement each other beautifully. Use a good artisan blue cheese in this.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced (about 3 Tbs)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the Cider Vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in small bowl. Whisk in oil and 2 T water. Stir in shallots.
- To make Salad: Place sunflower seeds in medium-sized skillet. Toast over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned and fragrant, shaking pan often. Transfer to small bowl and cool.
- Just before serving, toss spinach, sliced apple, crumbled cheese and cooled sunflower seeds with vinaigrette.