Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick and easy side-dish that's both delicious and helpful. A hint of lemon and spice makes this a dish that's sure to delight. Can also be eaten cold, if preferred.
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium lemon, juice of (or 2-3 tbsp lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons allspice (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Chop onions and saute in olive oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add drained, rinsed black-eyed peas, lemon, salt and allspice and mix well.
- Place two "bricks" of spinach on top and continue to cook on medium heat until spinach is cooked through, stirring occassionally.
We really liked this. We used fresh spinach and just added a couple bunches of whole, rinsed leaves to the pot. When they had wilted we ate it. This went really well with grilled chicken breasts.
This was a STRANGE-looking recipe, but it really tasted good. It was really different, but we liked it a lot. I really liked that I didn't have to thaw and drain the spinach, just threw it on top & let it cook! The allspice added a nice touch, too. I'll be making this again.