Recipe by Mommy Chef 27
I tried this recipe at a friend's home. If I had read the recipe first I would never have made it, however it is delicious. I serve it often at dinner parties and everyone loves it.
Top Review by Bunny Slippers
Hmmm. I had printed this recipe to try a little while ago, and I made it for dinner last night. I expected us to like it better than we did. We thought it was just okay; we found it to be very dry, and in spite of the fact that we like all the ingredients, we just didn't love the flavor. I also had to wing it with the second layer of spinach mixture, because the recipe didn't specify where to put it. Nice to try something different, but I don't think anyone here is in a hurry for me to make this again.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (26 ounce) jar red pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 9 -12 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (Pepper Jack cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the beans to a mixing bowl; mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth.
- Add in the pasta sauce, cumin; stir to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, add the ricotta, spinach, eggs, and cilantro; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste; stir until just combined; Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom of a 13x9 inch casserole dish (glass or ceramic).
- Lay 3 (or more if desired) of the lasagna noodles side by side over the bean mixture.
- Spread half of the spinach mixture over the noodles.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over the spinach.
- Lay 3 (or more if desired) lasagna noodles over the cheese.
- Spread half of the remaining bean mixture over the noodles.
- Spread remaining spinach mixture over bean mixture.
- Lay the last 3 (or more if desired) lasagna noodles over the spinach mixture.
- Spread the remaining bean mixture over the noodles.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in a 375Â° oven for 40-45 minutes or until bubbling.
- Take dish from oven and remove foil.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top, replace foil cover and let set for 10 minutes.