Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is spinach at it's richest lol! It's a must at your dinner table for the holidays with a turkey or roast chicken dinner, pork roast or prime rib. You can really add in any kind of grated cheese desired to the cream mixture, I have added in some blue cheese, I also sauteed a small onion with 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic in the butter before adding in the spinach, but that is optional. Make certain to remove as much excess moisture out of the thawed spinach as possible or the sauce will become thin.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (freshly grated, or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9-inch baking dish (or similar size oval casserole dish).
- Hand-squeeze the spinach as dry as possible.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat; add in the spinach and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Season spinach with salt and pepper.
- Spread the spinach evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add in flour and whisk for 2 minutes (do not allow the mixture to turn brown).
- Gradually add in the whipping cream and milk whisking until the mixture is smooth; cook until the sauce is thick, whisking frequently (about 5-6 minutes).
- Season sauce with nutmeg and cayenne, then add/mix in about 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or use any kind of cheese desired).
- Spoon the sauce over the spinach, then sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over the sauce (can use more if desired).
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.