Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
The Greek flavors of this beautiful tart make it an ideal side for grilled lamb. It is also great for a light lunch or supper with grilled tomatoes and some crusty rolls. Originally from a May 1980 issue of Bon Appetit that featured savory tarts.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs spinach, cooked, drained, cooled and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 lb puff pastry (or 4 frozen puff pastry shells)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Saute bacon until crisp;drain on paper towels.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until golden.
- Combine spinach,onion,sour cream,dillweed and eggs in processor or blender and puree.
- Transfer to bowl and stir in bacon and feta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease 8 inch round baking dish.
- Divide puff pastry into 4 equal parts and roll each into an 8-inch round;reserve pastry scraps.
- Set 1 pastry round in bottom of prepared dish;brush with some of melted butter.
- Top with another pastry round.
- Spread spinach mixture to within 1 inch of edges on all sides.
- Paint pastry rim with water;top with another pastry round, brush with butter and add final pastry layer.
- Press edges of pastry together.
- Roll out pastry scraps and cut into decorations:leaves, flowers,etc. and place on top of tart.
- Brush with melted butter and and bake until golden, about 45 to 50 minutes.