Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Got a similar recipe from Giada De Laurentiis's show and made it for Easter morning. It was a hit! We dubbed it "Giada Strata" and plan to keep it as a regular holiday meal. I've made a few tweaks of my own to the recipe based on my family's taste and what I had available. This is really good and great when you have company.
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Paula Dean's house seasoning)
- 1 lb Italian bread (cubed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups whole milk
- 10 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute chopped bacon in large skillet until crisp. Using slotted spoon, remove bacon from skillet to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Reserve small amount of bacon drippings in skillet. Add onion to skillet and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and spinach and saute 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt and reserved bacon.
- Place half bread cubes in a buttered 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bread, top with half of the spinach mixture. Repeat layering.
- Whisk milk, eggs, and remaining 1/2 teaspoons of seasoning salt in a large bowl and pour evenly over the strata. Gently push surface of bread down into milk to coat. Chill strata, covered with plastic wrap, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Bake strata uncovered until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, about 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Very good. I halved this recipe and easily had 6 servings.
I didn't actually chill this at all, just popped it in the oven right after assembling, and it was still great! This one's a keeper.
Turned out well - serves alot more than 6 - more like 12+