Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a heavily modified recipe from "The New Italian Cooking" book by Margaret and G. Franco Romagnoli. Theirs does not have spinach, and I needed to add vegetables to the family's meals. I've changed it enough that when asked for the recipe I cannot copy it from the book.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (7 ounce) cans baby clams, minced
- 2 tablespoons clam juice, reserved
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 tablespoons unseasoned breadcrumbs, toasted (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Thaw, drain and squeeze chopped spinach. If you don't get the spinach mostly dry, the sauce is wet, runny and rather icky. !Raw spinach does not work in this recipe!
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Add olive oil and garlic.
- Add spinach, cook until warmed through (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add clams and juice, simmer for 5 minutes.
- remove from heat, serve over 3/4 pound pasta noodles with bread crumbs and cheese as toppings.
***MADE FOR MY 3-CHEFS 2009*** This was FANTASTIC! I have had clam dishes similiar to this, but never with spinach. Instead of bread crumbs, I made and used Garlic Croutons for this dish. I used the parmesan cheese, which in my opinion, it complimented the dish perfectly. Thanks Wife-w-kids for this great recipe.