Recipe by Lightly Toasted
This recipe is patterned after the Guadalupe Salad at Velvet Elvis Pizza in Patagonia Arizona. It is delicious, healthy, and light. We will sometimes add chopped cooked chicken or pork. Dressing can be made ahead of time and chilled.
Top Review by Ms B.
This is an incredible salad. The dressing is almost like a creamy guacamole. I didn't have any sour cream on hand and instead added more buttermilk and some skim milk to make it a bit runnier (for easier drizzling over the salad). I can't say that the flavor was compromised without the sour cream, as it was still great. My husband has decided that lettuce gives him heartburn, but ate a huge portion of this salad without complaint. I think the addition of grilled chicken would make it a great complete meal. Thanks for posting.
For the Salad
- 4 -6 ounces Baby Spinach, washed and dried (I pick off the stems)
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, rinsed in hot water, well drained, and juillienned (packed in oil)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded red onion
- 2 avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 mashed garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Assemble salads on two large dinner plates, with washed and dried spinach on the bottom, topped with the cheese, sun dried tomatoes, onion, and meat, if using.
- Combine all dressing ingreients in blender, and process until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Spoon onto salad.