Recipe by Terri F.
Here's an excellent breakfast casserole that can also be used as a light dinner. It must be refrigerated at least 8 hours before baking. Prep time does not include refrigeration.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 9 eggs
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch long thin strips
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 9 slices day old Italian bread
- 2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add peppers, and saute until tender, about 6 minutes, then set aside.
- Press all liquid out of thawed spinach and set aside.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl until frothy.
- Beat in spinach, milk, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and generous fresh pepper.
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish with a small amount of the butter.
- Use the rest of the butter to coat one side of each slice of bread, and then cut bread into 1 inch cubes.
- You should have 9 cups approximately of cubed bread.
- Layer half the bread cubes, then half the red pepper strips, 1 jar of artichoke hearts, half the scallions, half the spinach mixture, and half the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers in order, ending with cheddar cheese.
- Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and uncover 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 1 hour until golden brown on top and firm in center, a knife inserted in center will come out clean.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.