Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very rich and fancy party dip! Could be made with thawed, drained frozen spinach as well. Source (modification of Emeril's Dip, text copy/pasted directly from foodnetwork.com website): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/spinach-and-artichoke-dip-recipe.html
- 2 (10 ounce) packages fresh spinach, well rinsed and stems trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups brie cheese, rind removed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained chopped
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp, drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-inch round chafing dish and set aside.
- Bring medium pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach in batches and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and refresh under cold running water. Squeeze to remove all excess water and chop. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for 1 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, to make a light roux, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and cream in a steady steam, and cook stirring constantly until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked spinach and lemon juice and stir to incorporate.
- Add all the cheeses, artichoke hearts, and bacon and stir well.
- Remove from heat and pour into prepared dish. Top with Parmesan and bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes.